- “What if” every potential scenario. The first element in the tactical triage is the mindset. Have a plan for all contingencies. Plan for the worst-case scenario.
- Seek out potential uses of cover and concealment. Remember, concealment is protection from view. Cover is protection from projectiles. As you move, look for areas that will lend itself to good cover and concealment so you have a tactical advantage.
- Use barriers and obstacles to your tactical advantage. Place barriers between you and the threat, if possible. Something as simple as a table, chair, patrol car, etc. will slow down and/or impede an advancing threat.
- If deadly force is warranted, fire until the threat is neutralized.
- Think about using “angles” to your advantage. If teaming with another security professional, try to form a “combat-L” on the threat. A 90-degree angle formed by the good guys (using cover or barriers if possible) on a single threat is the optimum.
- Know how to perform emergency self-aid and buddy aid, if you or comrade(s) become casualties. Carry tourniquets on your person. Stay in the fight. Never quit.
You can connect with Duke on Facebook and LinkedIn
This post is authored by an International Security Driver Association Member
The International Security Driver Association (ISDA) serves the Protective Services community. ISDA’s mission is to support an international forum of protective service providers who share knowledge for the purpose of enhancing the profession.
The most common question we at ISDA get asked is, “Is ISDA for Security Drivers and Secure Transportation Providers only?” The answer is a big NO. ISDA is a valuable resource for all practitioners working in the protection profession. Members of ISDA represent all facets and levels of the protective services profession as an example.
Here is a collection of Books, Publications and Articles authored by Members.
We have been producing informational newsletters for more than 20 years. This is a small sample of past newsletters.
Sign up for the ISDA Email Newsletter
Learn More about the ISDA Advantage and Become a Member Today